Thursday, October 25, 2012

THE RAGZTER RETURNS TO FLINT RECAP!

Holy smokes!
The trip back to my hometown of Flint,Michigan for THE FLINT HORROR CON and to see my old friends & family was both amazing,emotional and just the right thing to rejuvenate my weary focus muscles. 
I don't even know where to begin to ramble on about it all.
I guess, first of all, without getting into too much detail, my life has been quite challenging lately. I usually only post light hearted things, or just keep everyone up on the current artwork I have been working on. I don't like to lay my whole life out on the internet. Even in my artwork I tend to not reveal too much of myself. But, it has been a trying time. And there may be some walls I might just tear down and expose myself more into my work. Still not sure about how comfortable I am with that, but, we shall see.
I moved away from Flint,Michigan a little over 17 years ago to Las Vegas,NV. Flint was a dying city, and in many ways, it still is. But, because of my current situation, it may be time to come home. Yeah, yeah, who moves TO Flint?
But after seeing some of the bestest friends a person could ever have again, some who I haven't seen even years before I moved to Vegas, and family members who "get" what I am all about and the amazing artists,fans & creators I met at The Flint Horror Con has convinced me that it may be time to go back to wence I came and try to get the personal side of my life back on track.
I am blessed to have people from all over the U.S. and beyond who "get" me and who I can count on as true friends. These people make it all worth while. There are people in Vegas that I know will always be there for me, people in California who never fail to take the time to hang with me and to keep in touch. And people in Michigan that are basically begging for me to come back and who want to help. We all need to take time to breathe and rejuvenate our souls with those people in your life. People that don't judge, that may not have answers, but who have your back, no matter what. This trip to Michigan has opened my eyes to that, after feeling that I was alone in my own head for far too long.
So, here, along with my lifelong mates Shawn Colton & Roy Walters, we made a day of meeting horror fans, other artists and old friends at The Flint Horror Con on Saturday.
IM000364

IM000365


Roy,The Ragzter & Shawn!(Photo by Cyclops Kitty Photography)
36300_428592663868986_2144289813_n

The first person to come to my table and to buy something, was Tom Sullivan, the man that created the artwork and the covers to the Book of The Dead, used in the classic movies THE EVIL DEAD!!! He was a blast to talk to and inspirational. It's great to see other artists that like your own work,especially someone like him. Awesome!
TomSullivan

I also got to chat with Kevin Van Hentenryck from one of my all time fave movies-BASKET CASE!! We talked about the making of that film and it's sequels and he signed a photo and my own artist rendering of him and Belial on a sketch card. Such a thrill!!
Kevin_BasketCase

I made alot of new friends and fans who made me feel so good with their comments and purchases of my artwork. I did really well and I'm so glad I decided to try this convention out. I can't wait til next years!!

My dad and his wife even took the chance and ventured into the convention full of horror fans to check out our table! They hadn't ever been to anything like this before, so it was a whole world they hadn't even knew existed!

IM000366

And, most amazing, was seeing people that played very important parts in my life, but who I haven't seen in ages, coming out to see me. My heart swelled with joy(and at my age, that can be a dangerous thing), in re-uniting with these people. I can't express how wonderful it was seeing them again, catching up on things and re-connecting with them. I love them dearly!!

Lori, Me & Fred!
IM000369

Me, Shawn & Becky!
IM000374

So, here's a rundown of all the thank you's and I hope I don't leave anyone out. I had an amazing time and I'm the luckiest guy in the world to have friends like you! I can't wait to see everyone again soon!!!

Thanks to Stacey's father,brother and his wife for getting me to the airport and back. It would've been one hell of a long walk to get there without ya!

Thanks to Veronica, for keeping me in touch with Roy and, even though you're in another country, you always make things happen for me. Wish you could've been in Michigan with us. Missed ya!

Thanks to Jack, who made a way to see me on the night before the convention. It's always a blast having you around and talkin' comics with ya! Love ya!

Thanks to Sheley, for coming out and hangin' with us on Friday night amongst the bad country music kereoake.(yeah, I know, I spelt that wrong).And thank you for supporting my art! You're the bestest!

Thanks to all the great people at The Flint Horror Con for putting on such a great event and for welcoming me into the gang! You all are a class act! Everything was a pure joy, from the guests, to the helpers, the the staff and all of the great fans of horror in Flint. I'm so proud to be a part of it and I look forward to being there again next year. Amazing!!!

To Debi & Judy, two of my cousins who I haven't seen since I graduated High School!! It was so great seeing you again and for making me feel so special! Love ya bunches!!!!

To Becky & Chad! Wow, what a surprise seeing you both again!Becky, you have always been a class act, and I've missed your wicked sense of humor and friendship. It really means alot to me and your kind words and support really touched me big time! And Chad, thanks for taking good care of her, she's an amazing woman. Oh, and thanks alot for getting into my "Shadowgirls" artwork. It's a special style of work that I love to do and want to continue doing, so seeing you thrill over it makes it even more special to me. You're a great guy!! So Happy to see you both!!

Fred & Lori, well, what can I say. Fred has always amazed me and to see you two come out to ol' dingy Flint to see us was a true highlight of my trip.And Fred, thanks for hanging with Roy & I and making me laugh harder than I've laughed in a long, long time. Love ya,buddy!!

My family-Dad, Lynn, Lori,Dan, Connor & Elizabeth-wow. A person couldn't ask for a more supportive and understanding family. It was so good seeing everyone again and letting me vent,act goofy and making me feel that Stacey & I can have some hope. It truly makes me feel important and loved. And Lori, thank you for all the time you took to help me out and get things ready for the convention. I couldn't have done it without ya!

And ,of course, A BIG HUGE THANKS to Shawn & Roy. My two bestest buds ever, who have put up with my crazy life, wigged out moments and everything else since we first met waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the early 80's. My whole life has been an adventure because of you two. You can't get any better friends than these two lunkheads.Seriously, you can't. Not even on Ebay or Amazon. They rock.
IM000368

And lastly, of course, thank you to my wife Stacey. This chick has always been supportive of me and found ways to make it happen for me.We have had some really rough times lately, yet she fights through it all with Wonder Woman like powers. She connected me up with the convention and got it all set into motion. She couldn't make it to the show, but she was there,always at my side,in spirit. Everyone wished she could be there. Everyone.
Next year, because of all these people,she will. Just you wait.
It's gonna kick major ass!

I love you all.
Now, enough with the sappy stuff. Time to draw monsters and nekkid chicks.
SPANKIN'!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You're a lucky guy. Congrats to a fruitful convention experience. I wish you success and happiness in your life and art you can get.

    Alberto Ramirez Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alberto! I couldn't have asked for a better time!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Artist & Illustrator of monsters,sexy girls,superheroes and anything off the wall!

Followers